Kit contains chocolate, sugar, flour, coco powder, making instructions.
- PREP TIME 15 MINS
- BAKING TIME 35 MINS
You will need:
- 3 eggs
- 100g butter
- Baking tin approx 15cm long and wide, 5cm deep
- Baking tin paper liner
- Wooden spoon / spatula
- Mixing bowl
- Cooling rack
- Oven gloves
How to make:
- Pre heat oven to 190oC
- Line baking tin with paper liner
- Weigh butter and add to saucepan to melt on hob
- Once melted, remove from heat and add the big bag of chocolate and sugar
- Mix until melted together
- Mix in 3 eggs
- Gradually mix in small bag of flour and coco powder
- Spoon into the baking tin and bake in oven for 35mins
- Once cooked remove from oven and allow to cool on cooling rack. To check mixture is cooked watch out for it darkening at the edges. You can also remove it from the oven and gently shake to make sure the middle of it does not wiggle like jelly
- Once cool cut up and enjoy the gooey goodness!
About Refuge Hot Chocolate
Refuge Hot Chocolate has been up and running since 2017 led by Chief Potion Maker Tara Mullan.
‘Not being a tea or coffee drinker I spent many years sampling the hot chocolate drinks throughout Ireland and beyond, never quite getting one that hit the taste buds of how I thought a hot chocolate should taste. Until a few years ago I went skiing in Andora and tasted something that hit the spot. It was strong, thick and had so much taste. More like melted chocolate than the expensive dish water I was often served in cafes.
This awakening must have been filed away in the depths of my brain and came to the fore when I was trying to come up with a solution to financially support a local anti human trafficking charity I volunteer for. I briefly tested several ideas of projects to raise finance for the charity. Until one day the name Refuge and hot chocolate literally dropped into my head. This is when I started experimenting with recipes I read about and ones I made up.
Once I got closer to what I thought was a good tasting drink I asked friends to test some and give me feedback. After this I had the recipe for the original chocolate. It’s still the same recipe we use today.’
Refuge Hot Chocolate have several products including liquid chocolate that can be enjoyed hot or cold, thick chocolate milkshake, solid hot chocolate Melts and a new hot chocolate Blend (finely ground chocolate and other magical things).
Their products are fair trade and as waste free as possible, nut free, egg free and gluten free.